Raised in an atheist household, author and teacher Philip Goldberg has gone on to become a key documentarian and historian of the modern yoga movement. He has written or coauthored over 20 books, including the recent “The Life of Yogananda”.
In this far-reaching interview we discuss how Philip found his path, what we can learn from the extraordinary life of yogi, and renowned spiritual teacher Paramahansa Yogananda, why we need to embrace our darkness, and much more.
About Our Guest
Philip Goldberg has been studying India’s spiritual traditions for more than 50 years— as a practitioner, teacher, and writer. He is the author or coauthor of over 20 books, including The Intuitive Edge; Roadsigns on the Spiritual Path; and the award-winning American Veda: From Emerson and the Beatles to Yoga and Meditation, How Indian Spirituality Changed the West.
His latest book, The Life of Yogananda: The Story of the Yogi Who Became the First Modern Guru, is the first full-scale biography of Paramahansa Yogananda.
An ordained Interfaith Minister, a spiritual counselor, and a meditation teacher, he is an entertaining public speaker who has presented at venues throughout the U.S. and India. He blogs regularly on Spirituality & Health online and Elephant Journal, conducts tours of India with American Veda Tours, and cohosts the popular Spirit Matters podcast.
Connect with Philip here:
SHOW NOTES + RESOURCES
- NEW BOOK: The Life of Yogananda: The Story of the Yogi Who Became the First Modern Guru by Philip Goldberg | Amazon
- Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda | Best Edition (KC recommends this version only). Also read by Ben Kingsley on Audible
- Learn about Paramahansa Yogananda
- About the Autobiography and its global impact
- KC speaks at Center for Spiritual Living on the Autobiography, and becoming a disciple of Yogananda.
- KC speaks at Wisdom 2.0 about the Steve Jobs, and his relationship to the Autobiography of a Yogi
- Brother Chidananda, President of Self-Realization Fellowship
- Sri Mrinalini Mata Memorial Service – Amazing talk by Brother Chidananda
- Film Documentary: Awake, The Life of Yogananda
- The Bhagavad Gita (Hindu scripture)
- God Talks to Arjuna – Gita Commentary by Paramahansa Yogananda
- Self-Realization spiritual path – Kriya Yoga, as taught by Yogananda
- Encinitas Retreat, November 2019.
HEAR MORE, SUBSCRIBE!
Incredible leaders + creators, how they live, and how they contribute to the world we deserve. Our show explores 3 powerful permissions with guests and listeners: Permission to Chill, Permission to Feel All the Feels, and Permission to Glow in the Dark.
Emceed by yogi, Dad, and executive coach KC (Kristoffer Carter). Learn more: thisepiclife.com
Access all of our episodes:
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Google Play